Smoke Fire-Shut® - Smoke Rated Shutters
- Fire and Smoke rated counter shutter; U.L. classified to 3 hours of protection
- Ideal for all pass-through openings such as service counters, concession stands and cafeteria counters
- Smoke shutter coils upward requiring little side or head room
- Built in accordance with the requirements specified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
Alpine’s Smoke Fire-Shut® Doors are ideal for use in school cafeterias, office windows, healthcare facilities, hospitals and airport concession displays, or wherever smoke and fire protection is needed.
- These doors provide access control and security protection under normal use and will close automatically in the event of a fire, serving as a fire wall to contain the spread of a fire and eliminate the infiltration of Smoke.
- Activates upon melting of 165º fusible link.
- Conventional design offers a push-up operation product, where Auto Fire-Shut® products do not.
- The lowest upfront cost available that meets or exceeds your needs.
- Alpine’s Counter Fire Door products have been UL classified and listed under the UL Product Category: “Fire Shut Integral Frame Counter-Shutter Fire Door – GSVV.”
- Ratings: 1-1/2 HR, 3/4 HR.
- Sizes: Face Mounted – 5’ Wide x 5’ High, Up to 51 sq ft.
- Between Jambs – 10’ 10” Wide x 6’ 4” High, Up to 86 sq ft.
- Alpine’s Smoke Fire-Shut® door products also carry a 3 HR, 1-1/2 HR or 3/4 HR fire rating under UL File GSNV.
- Sizes: Classified for openings up to 13 ‘6 “ wide x 12’ high.
The Alpine Advantage and Benefit
- Alpine’s Fire-Shutters ensure security and fire protection and are listed and/or classified by:
• Underwriter’s Laboratories, Inc., (U.L.)
• Underwriter’s Laboratories of Canada, Inc. (U.L.C.)
• Factory Mutual (F.M.) *Flame Drop Baffle Required*
- Made-To-Order manufacturing process. Alpine builds your product to the exact size specified by you.
- All of our products are constructed to have a rigid and compact design which provides for a more structural grade product while reducing overhead space and obstruction.
- Alpine builds trust by providing our products with a warranty on material and workmanship. As we also offer an optional five-year pro-rated warranty. Please call factory for more information on our pro-rated warranties.
- We are an ISO 9001 registered firm which ensures you that our products are built with true quality you can count on.
- The opening preparation and the installation of the fire door shall be performed in strict compliance with NFPA-80.
- *Opening preparation, miscellaneous or structural metal work, access doors,
- finish or field painting, field electrical wiring, wire, conduit, fuses and disconnect switches are in the Scope of Work of other divisons or trades
The curtain consists of interlocked, flat faced, 1-1/4” galvanized slats, 22 gauge, Structural Quality Grade D, as per ASTM-A653/A653-M. Optional slat material in stainless steel. Curtain equipped with a bottom bar made of two roll-formed galvanized steel angles measuring 1”x3/4”x1/8” which is designed to reinforce the bottom of the curtain.
Material Options: Stainless Steel
Finish Option: Choice of 188 ExoShield™powder coating
> Click here for available Powder Coating colors.
Steel guides are Laser cut 12 gauge steel frame encased and fitted with removable bellmouth curtain stops, to allow for curtain maintenance without removal of the guides. Bellmouth stops shall be flush with the guide groove. 1-½” Brush Seals included to resist the infiltration of Smoke
The steel pipe barrel is a size capable of carrying a curtain load with a max. deflection of 0.03” per foot opening width. The helical torsion spring is encased in a barrel designed to require minimum effort to operate the rolling curtain and bottom bar.
A Torsion Spring charge wheel is used for applying spring torque and for future adjustments.
Option: Stainless steel or Zinc Enriched Powder Coat.
Available in push-up, hand chain, or motor operation. Automatic closure is activated by a Fusible Link, Fire Door Release Device. Please See Alpine’s Operation Tab COVERS Gear covers and operator covers are required for exterior mounted fire doors or when gears or operators are set below 8’ ft in height from floor.
Alpine Motor Operators
> View Redi-Robot™ Details
The Solid State Securities time delay release devices are normally energized as Fail-Safe devices incorporating state of the art electronic security control circuitry.
The Redi-Release™ series release devices respond to emergency conditions generated by manual or automatic normally closed initiating devices, and are designed to be used in conjunction with a temperature fuse link system. The Test-Release device features include time delay on alarm and power loss, motor voltage sensing, form C output, proximity/door edge input and trouble diagnostic capabilities. Check model label to be installed to verify applicable features.
CAUTION: As with all releasing device systems, maximum fire protection is provided when installed in accordance with factory specifications and used with fuse link systems. Fail-Safe operation can only be provided when input power is applied.
Alpine’s UL listed integral frame operators are constructed with the highest quality material and the latest in technical innovation to ensure that each operator exceeds the requirements it is meant to achieve. Alpine is sure to have an interior door operator that will meet all your individual specifications.
Alpine’s winning team of employees work diligently with the customers beyond the sale. We show our customers that their satisfaction is our top priority. Alpine’s quality and workmanship is proven throughout the door industry. Our hands-on approach to every job ensures customer satisfaction. Call Alpine today to learn more about motor operators for an integral frame door!
Below you will find comprehensive AutoCAD drawing details for our smoke rated shutters and smoke sealed shutters featuring important operation drawing details for using hand chain, hand crank or motor operation of fire shutters.
AutoCAD drawings and AutoCAD details for smoke sealed shutters may be selected on the CAD FILES option to the right. The AutoCAD drawing details for the smoke rated shutters comply with 08360, 08400 & 08330 construction specs. The drawing details available for Alpine’s Smoke Fire-Shut® also comprise several mounting options, including face mounted to steel, masonry, or between jamb mounted.
Alpine’s Smoke Fire-Shut® smoke sealed shutters are classified for up to 3 hours of fire protection. It has the same features as the Fire-Shut® fire shutters with the addition of an “S” rating for smoke leakage. These smoke rated shutters are built in accordance with requirements specified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Alpine manufactures and installs high quality fire doors that are built to last long and provide maximal protection. Our knowledgeable staff will help guide engineers through the drawing details process.
To download Drawing Details (PDF) for smoke sealed shutters and smoke rated shutters, please click below.
> For CAD Drawings, please click here
Alpine’s Engineering team will help you determine the exact fire shutters that will meet your specifications and requirements. Alpine will guide you through every step with your Smoke Rated Shutters with Drawing Details. Alpine will design smoke sealed shutters that will bring years of usage.
Alpine’s smoke sealed shutters are tough enough to stand up to a lot of usage. These fire shutters are built to last. Call Alpine today to find out which Smoke Rated Shutters are right for your building.
Alpine® Smoke Fire-Shut® Smoke Shutter
Smoke Sealed Counter Shutter
Model SMOKE FIRE-SHUT®
Fire-Shut® Rolling Doors
NOTE: For specifications, architects must choose from a variety of options. The standard choice will be shown first in plain text followed by the options shown in [brackets] (Example “Finish: Galvanized [Powder coated] [Baked enamel]”). The specifier must make the appropriate choices and delete the others (Example: “Finish: Powder coated”).
1.01 SUMMARY OF SMOKE SHUTTER
A. This section includes: [Manual] or [Electric] operated, automatic closing Counter-Shutter Fire Door.
1. Provide doors with Underwriter’s Laboratories, Inc. (UL) and Underwriter’s
Laboratories of Canada (ULC) label for the fire rating classification. [3 hr.], [1 1⁄2 hr.], or [3/4 hr.] and NYC MEA approved.
2. Provide doors with Underwriter’s Laboratories, Inc. label for “Leakage Rated
Assembly” or “S” label in compliance with UL test 1784 and NFPA 105 air leakage requirements. [1 1⁄2 hr.] [3/4 hr.]
3. Cycle life: Design doors of standard construction for normal use of 10,000 cycles standard [up to 400,000 cycles].
4. Manually resettable drop out mechanism with optional release devices. (For
automatically resettable doors see specs for Auto Smoke Fire-Shut®)
B. Related Sections: Related to this section, but not limited to, the following (based on Master Format 2004):
1. Section 01660 – Product Storage and Handling Requirements.
2. Section 04220 – Concrete Unit Masonry.
3. Section 05120 – Structural Steel.
4. Section 06100 – Rough Carpentry.
5. Section 08310 – Access Doors and Panels.
6. Section 08710 – Door Hardware.
7. Section 09290 – Gypsum Board.
8. Section 09900 – Paints and Coatings.
9. Section 26000 – Electrical.
10. Section 28310 – Fire Detection and Alarm.
1.02 REFERENCES FOR SMOKE CONTAINMENT SHUTTERS
A. ASTM A 653/A 653M – Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) or Zinc-Iron Alloy-Coated (Galvannealed) by the Hot-Dip Process
B. ASTM A 36 – Standard Specification for Carbon Structural Steel, Hot Rolled Steel
C. ASTM A 123 – Standard Specification for Zinc (Hot-Dip Galvanized) Coatings on Iron and Steel Products
D. ASTM A 312 – Standard Specification for Seamless, Welded, and Heavily Cold Worked Austenitic Stainless Steel Pipes
E. ASTM A 240 – Standard Specification for Chromium and Chromium-Nickel Stainless Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip for Pressure Vessels and for General Applications
F. ASTM A 276 – Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Bars and Shapes
1.03 SUBMITTALS FOR SMOKE SHUTTER
A. Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
B. Product Data: Provide manufacturer’s standard details and catalog data. Provide installation instructions.
C. Shop Drawings: Furnish shop drawings for architect’s approval. Include elevation, sections, and details indicating dimensions, materials, finishes, conditions for anchorage and support of each door.
D. Submit manufacturer’s recommended operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance instructions.
1.04 QUALITY ASSURANCE FOR SMOKE CONTAINMENT SHUTTERS
A. Manufacturer: Rolling doors shall be manufactured by a firm with a minimum of five years experience.
B. Fire-Rated Assemblies: Provide all doors with fire resistance rating required to comply with governing regulations which are inspected, tested, listed and labeled by UL, complying with NFPA 80 for class of opening. Provide UL label permanently fasted to each fire door assembly.
Door shall be tested under UL10B and ULC10B, and provided with a [3 hr.] [1 1⁄2 hr.] [3/4 hr.]
rating. Also NY MEA approved.
C. Smoke-Rated Assemblies: Provide all doors with air leakage rating required to comply with governing regulations which are inspected, tested, listed and labeled by UL, complying with NFPA 105. Doors shall be tested under UL 1784 and provided with an “S” class label.
D. Single-Source Responsibility: Manufacturer shall provide doors, tracks, motors, and accessories for each type of door. Secondary components shall come from a source acceptable to the manufacturer of the primary components.
1.05 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
A. Deliver materials in original packaging supplied by manufacturer with intact labels. Store materials away from harmful environmental conditions and construction.
1.06 WARRANTY FOR SMOKE SHUTTER
A. Door Warranty: Provide one year written warranty from date of installation against deficiencies due to defects in materials or workmanship. Installer agrees to repair or replace any defects in materials or workmanship.
B. Project Warranty: Refer to Conditions of the Contract for project warranty provisions.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
A. Manufacturer: Alpine Overhead Doors, Inc.; 8 Hulse Road Suite 1S, East Setauket, NY 11733. Telephone 800-257-4634 or 631-473-9300. Fax 631-642-0800.
B. Model: SMOKE FIRE-SHUT® Air Leakage Rated Rolling Counter Fire Door
2.02 MATERIALS FOR SMOKE CONTAINMENT DOOR
1. Slats: Constructed of interlocking, roll-formed 1-1⁄4” baby flat slats.
i) Galvanized steel, G90 coating exterior (G60 interior), Structural Quality Grade C, as per ASTM A 653/ A 653 M
Finish: Galvanized [Powder coated] [Baked enamel] (Minimum coating
conforming with Coating Designation G-01 is required)
– OR –
ii) ASTM 240 Stainless steel 300 series
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 satin finish]
b) Gauge: (Per manufacturer’s standard) Minimum 22 gauge as manufacturer standard [20 gauge].
2. Endlocks or Windlocks (as required):
a) Stamped, hot-dipped, galvanized endlocks riveted (solid rivets, minimum 1⁄4” thick) to each end of alternate slats to prevent lateral movement and to limit slat deflection and bending stress. [Windlocks are dependent on windload and increase resistance to curtain jamming]
3. Bottom Bar: Two roll formed steel angles of minimum 1”x 3/4”x 1/8”, designed to reinforce curtain bottom. [Tubular available up to 8’] (Size dependent on dimensions per manufacturer’s standard)
a) Material for Smoke Shutter:
i) Galvanized Steel as per ASTM A 653/ A 653 M
Finish: Gray shop prime [Powder Coated] [Baked Enamel]
– OR –
ii) ASTM 240 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 satin finish]
b) [Weather Stripping]: Neoprene strip bolted between bottom angles.
1. Laser cut 12 gauge steel, formed into box shape and fitted with removable bellmouth curtain stops to allow for curtain maintenance without removal of guides. Bellmouth stops shall be flush with guide groove. Bolt at 12” o.c.
i) ASTM A 36 Carbon Structural Steel
Finish: Gray shop prime coat [ASTM A 123 Galvanized] [baked enamel paint]
– OR –
ii) ASTM 276 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 finish satin]
C. Door Support Brackets and Mounting Plates:
1. Steel plate not less than 3/16” thick. Provide ball bearings at rotating support points. Bolt plates to wall mounting angles with minimum 3/8″ fasteners. Plate supports counterbalance assembly and forms end enclosures.
a) Material for Smoke Containment Door:
i) ASTM A 36 Carbon Steel:
Finish: Gray shop prime coat [ASTM A 123 Galvanized] [Baked enamel paint]
– OR –
ii) ASTM 240 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: [Mill Finish #2B]
D. Counterbalance Assembly: Torsion
1. Counterbalance assembly: Steel pipe barrel of a size capable of carrying a curtain load with a maximum deflection of 0.03” per foot of door width. Heat-treated helical torsion springs encased in a steel pipe and designed to include an overload factor of 25% to ensure minimum effort to operate. Sealed and prelubricated high speed ball bearing at rotating support points. Torsion spring charge wheel for applying spring torque and for future adjustments.
i) ASTM A 36 Carbon Structural Steel
Finish: Gray shop prime coat [A 123 Hot-Dip Galvanized]
– OR –
ii) A 312 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: Mill finish
b) Life Cycle: High Cycle springs designed to satisfy 10m through 400m life cycles. Consult engineering if height exceeds width for any cycle above 20m. (Cycle defined as one time opening and closing of door)
1. 22 gauge steel. Formed to fit the contour of the end brackets with reinforced top and bottom edges. Fasten with minimum 1⁄4” bolts at 10” o.c.
2. Shape: Square
3. Material for Smoke Shutter:
a) Galvanized Steel as per ASTM A 653/ A 653 M
Finish: [Baked enamel paint] [Powder coated]
– OR –
b) ASTM 240 Stainless Steel 300 Series:
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 satin finish]
4. [Fascia]: Galvanized [Stainless Steel], provided where areas behind door hood are open.
Materials and finish same as hood.
1. Provide padlockable slide locks for latching and locking door on coil side bottom bar at each jamb extending into slots in guides. (Electric Interlocks recommended with motorized doors only)
2. Manual chain hoist: Provide padlockable chain keeper on guide.
3. [Cylinder Locks]: Only available on tubular bottom bars. Operated from coil[fascia][both] side(s). [Cabinet Style] [Masterkeyable]
2.03 OPERATION OF SMOKE CONTAINMENT DOOR:
A. Opening/Closing: Manual push-up [Manual hand chain] [Manual hand crank] [Motor Operator].
B. Automatic closure is activated by fusible link [Fire Door Release Device].
C. [Manual hand crank]:
1. Provide crank hoist operator including crank gear box, steel crank drive shaft and geared reduction unit. Fabricate gear box to completely enclose operating mechanism and be oil-tight.
D. [Motor Operators]:
1. Redi-Midget® Gear Reduced Jackshaft Door Operator.
2. [Sensing Edges] (For double angle bottom bar): For motorized doors, sensing edges allow door to go up in case of obstruction. [Pneumatic Edge] [Electric Edge] [Wireless Edge].
a) Colors: Gray [Yellow] [Black] [White] [Yellow with black stripes]
E. Release Devices:
1. Fusible link with chain system:
a) Activation: Melting of fusible link at 165° Fahrenheit. When automatic closing is activated, chain shall disengage causing door to close.
b) Closing speed controlled by Integral Oscillating governor [Viscous governor].
c) Average closing speed: No less than 6” per second and not more than 24” per second as per NFPA 80 Section 6, paragraph 4.1.5.
2. [Redi-ReleaseTM Release Devices]: Electric Fail-Safe devices used in conjunction with fusible link. [Smoke detector] Choose ONE from either standard models or SS class:
a) Class 1: Manually operated system that can be tied into most fire alarm systems.
– OR –
b) Class 2: All the features of Class 1, with the additional capability to allow motor operation. If operator is chosen, an electrical edge is recommended.
– OR –
c) Class 3: All the features of Class 2 with the addition of standard Alpine Control Panel and Standard Electric Safety Edge. Allows door to automatically go up in case of an obstruction.
– OR –
d) Class 4: All the features of Class 3 with the addition of the Alpine Uninterrupted Power Supply (Battery backup) that is self-activating during a power outage.
– OR –
e) SS Class Model A: Includes independently adjustable delays of 10 seconds on alarm activations (10 sec. max. adjust) and 10 seconds on power loss (30 sec. max. adjust) with a hold/release rating of 40 lbs.
f) SS Class Model B: All the features of model A with:
i) The hold open/release device shall recognize that the door is in the closed position and where motor driven, be capable of sensing that power is available to the motor. The device may be wired to close on alarm.
ii) [Audible and visual annunciators]: To operate during alarm closing cycle.
g) SS Class Model B2: All the features of model B with:
i) 72-hour battery backup with low/no battery logic sounder.
ii) Sounder/Strobe annunciator: To sound during closure due to alarm or power loss.
h) SS Class Model C: All the features of model B2 with:
i) Bottom bar sensing edge.
ii) Remote test plate.
2.04 Mounting of Smoke Shutter:
1. Interior face mounted on prepared opening.
2. Interior mounted between jambs and under lintel in a prepared opening.
3. Exterior face mounted on prepared opening.
2.05 Fire Ratings for Smoke Containment Door:
1. Underwriter’s Laboratories:
Doors are constructed to conform within requirements specified by Underwriters
Laboratories, Inc. (UL) and Underwriter’s Laboratories of Canada (ULC). Doors are automatic and self-closing, Class (A) (B) (C) (D).
Class (A) – 3 hour approved for doors in dividing fire walls with openings not exceeding 120 sq. ft. in area
Class (B) – 1 1⁄2 hour approved for doors, in vertical shaft openings not exceeding 120 sq. ft. in area.
Class (C) – 3⁄4 hour approved for doors in corridor or room-partition opening not exceeding 120 sq. ft. in area.
Class (D) – 1 1⁄2 hour approved for doors in exterior wall opening not exceeding 120 sq.
ft. in area. 2. New York Materials, Equipment and Acceptance Division (MEA).
PART 3 – EXECUTION
3.01 EXAMINATION OF SMOKE SHUTTER
A. Verify that dimensions are correct and project conditions are in accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions; do not proceed with installation until unacceptable conditions have been corrected.
A. Install units in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
B. Ensure that units are installed plumb and true, free of warp or twist, and within tolerances specified by manufacturer for smooth operation.
C. Preparation for opening and installation of fire door to be in strict compliance with NFPA-80.
3.03 FIELD TESTING
A. Test doors for regular operation and automatic closing. Proper authorities having jurisdiction must witness test and sign Drop Test Form.
3.04 DEMONSTRATION OF SMOKE CONTAINMENT DOOR
A. Instruct the Owner’s personnel in correct operation and maintenance of units.
3.05 ADJUST AND CLEAN
A. Clean units in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
B. Restore slight blemishes in finishes in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions to match original finish. Remove and provide new units where repairs are not acceptable to the Architect.
3 Hour approved for doors in dividing fire walls with openings not exceeding 51 sq. ft. in area.
- 1.5 Hour approved for doors in vertical shaft openings not exceeding 51 sq. ft. in area.
- .75 Hour approved for doors in corridor or room-partition opening not exceeding 51 sq. ft. in area.
- 1.5 Hour approved for doors in exterior wall opening not exceeding 51 sq. ft. in area. Mounting shutter between jambs size not exceeding 86 sq.ft.
The Alpine Smoke Fire-Shut® smoke shutter has all the features of the Fire-Shut® with the addition of an “S” rating for smoke leakage. The Smoke Fire-Shut® smoke rated shutters utilize a vinyl smoke seal on the bottom bar, brush seals on the guides and lintel to stop the movement of smoke through the door. This enables smoke containment and prevents property damage and health risks.
Alpine’s Smoke Fire-Shut® smoke sealed shutters are engineered and constructed to combine fire protection and service. These shutters are designed for small pass-through openings such as service counters, windows, concession stands and cafeteria counters. The interlocking flat faced steel, stainless steel, or prime painted slats maintains the aesthetic harmony of any building decor. These smoke rated shutters are great in situations where smoke containment is necessary. Most importantly, Alpine counter shutters provide excellent protection against fire, theft and unauthorized entry.
Alpine Smoke Fire-Shut® curtains are available in 1-1/4″ flat interlocking slats. Smoke rated shutters can be manually or motor operated. Operators can be adapted to specific conditions. Locking units can be provided depending on the type of shutter operation. Alpine’s Redi-Robot may be used on this shutter.
1 1/4″ Flat Slat