Quality Rolling Steel Doors
Redi-Storm® IMB - Insulated Storm Rated Doors
- Insulated hurricane protection device with an R-value of 8.01
- Approved by Dade County Florida and Florida Building Commission to withstand 187 mph winds
- Torsion counterbalance assembly
- Underwriters Laboratories Inc. reviewed for consumer confidence
Alpine’s Redi-Storm® IMB Doors are highly used where there is a high level of storms and gusty wind conditions. Ideal for storm shelters, schools, office buildings, emergency call centers, police stations, post offices or anywhere that may be subject to hurricanes, or tornadoes. These doors protect both people and property from injury due to flying debris.
- Insulated front slat has been missile tested to ensure safety against flying debris
- Design pressure of +60 psf & -60 psf, 1.5 Safety factor, 90+/- psf
- All operating systems can be adapted to specific conditions such as; inclement weather, corrosive atmospheres, etc.
- Air infiltration – manufactured to meet 2015. IECC®, ASHRAE®90.1 and California’s Title 24, tested independently to meet 0.3 CFM/FT
- Weather seals consist of a neoprene hood baffle, vinyl guide weather stripping and vinyl astragal on the bottom bar, with an option for 1½” perimeter brush seals
The Alpine Advantage and Benefit
- Alpine Wind-Tite Doors are designed for easy operation and are trouble free with minimal maintenance required.
- After 42 years in business, Alpine doors have been proven reliable for use on thousands of installations in Commercial and Business locations. Alpine’s quality and workmanship is well known throughout the door industry. Our hands-on approach to every job ensures customer satisfaction.
- Made-to-Order manufacturing process. Alpine builds your product to the exact size, specifications and requirements.
- All of our products are constructed to have a rigid and compact design which provides for a more structural grade product while reducing overhead space and obstruction.
- Alpine builds trust by providing our products with a one year warranty on material and workmanship. As we also offer an optional five-year prorated warranties.
- We are an ISO 9001:2015 registered firm which ensures that our products are built with strict quality control you can count on.
- Redi-Storm® IMB door must be mounted to steel or masonry
- Rolling service doors as manufactured by Alpine Overhead Doors, Inc. are durable, sturdy and economical to install and maintain.
- Opening preparation, miscellaneous or structural metal work, access doors, finish or field painting, field electrical wiring, wire, conduit, fuses and disconnect switches are in the scope of work of other divisions or trades
Constructed of insulated interlocking flat slats ⅞” thick , roll-formed galvanized steel with polystyrene insulation with an option of CFC & HCFC free polyurethane foam. Structural Quality Grade D, as per ASTM-653/A653-M) Minimum 20ga front slat with various gauge back slat combinations.
Material Options: #4 Stainless Steel
Finish Options: Tan, White or Grey; or ExoShield™ Powder Coating.
> Click here for available Powder Coating colors.
Available in push-up, hand chain, hand-crank, or motor operation.
Alpine Motor Operators
> View Redi-Master® Details
> View Redi-Hoist™ Details
> View Redi-Lift® Details
SAFETY ENTRAPMENT PROTECTION
Option: Photo Safety Sensors mounted to the guides 6” above the finished floor directing a beam across the opening which will stop the door and reverse to the fully open position if broken while door is cycling to close.
Option: Redi-Reverse Light Curtain consists of a 6’0” high light curtain integral to the guides, left and right. If an object passes through the light curtain during the close cycle, the door will reverse to the open cycle and come to rest upon reaching the open limit.
Option: NEMA 4X (weather resistant) photo safety sensors mounted to the guides 6” above the finished floor that project an infrared beam across the width of the door. Breaking the beam while the door is in motion will result in the immediate stop of downward travel and reverse the door to reopen to the top limit.
Option: Electric Monitored Sensing edge with a coil cord or take up reel, or a wireless monitored transmitter and receiver type monitored sensing edge
These are the operator options for Alpine’s Red-Storm® security door. Please see our entire line of service door operators. Alpine’s security door operator is UL 325 standard and constructed with the highest quality material and the latest in technical innovation. This ensures that each roll up door motor exceeds the requirements it is meant to achieve. Alpine is sure to have an operator that will meet all your individual specifications.
Contact Alpine to learn more about these motor operators today!
Alpine® Redi-Storm®® IMB Hurricane Doors
Insulated Windstorm Resistant Rolling Doors
These metal storm shutters have AutoCAD drawing details for hurricane doors that may be requested here. The AutoCAD drawings and AutoCAD details comply with 08360, 08400 & 08330 construction specs for hurricane doors. For fire doors please select item from the product index.
Alpine’s Redi-Storm® IMB has many of the same features as the Redi-Storm® with the addition of curtain insulation. These metal storm shutters comply with the 08330 construction specifications. These drawing details for hurricane doors are Dade County approved to withstand winds up to 187 mph. These hurricane doors are also Underwriters Laboratories Inc. reviewed for consumer confidence.
To download drawing details for hurricane doors and metal storm shutters (PDF) please click below.
> For CAD Drawings, please click here
- Face Mounted to Masonry
The Redi-Storm® IMB AutoCAD drawing details for hurricane shutters are for informational purposes. They may change at any time. The CAD detail and CAD drawing reflect the options that are available to the architects and engineers compiling a drawing of metal storm shutters to present to contractors. The AutoCAD detail and AutoCAD drawing will be updated regularly.
Apine’s Engineering team will help you determine the fire doors and hurricane doors that will meet your specifications and requirements. Alpine will guide you through every step with your drawing details for hurricane doors and fire doors. Alpine will design metal storm shutters that will bring years of usage.
Alpine’s hurricane doors are tough enough to stand up to a lot of usage. These metal storm shutters are built to last. Call Alpine today to find out which hurricane doors are right for your building’s entry.
Alpine® Redi-Storm® IMB Roll Down Doors
Quality Windstorm Resistant Insulated Rolling Door
Model REDI-STORM IMB®
Insulated Rolling Door
NOTE: For Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications, architects must choose from a variety of options. The standard choice will be shown first in plain text followed by the options shown in [brackets] (Example “Finish: Galvanized [Powder coated] [Baked enamel]”). The specifier must make the appropriate choices and delete the others (Example: “Finish: Powder coated”).
1.01 SUMMARY of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
A. This section includes: [Manual] or [Electric] operated Insulated Metal Backed Windstorm Resistant Overhead Rolling Door.
1. Successfully tested by Architectural Testing Institute (ATI) under Dade County protocols PA 201, PA 202, and PA 203 for a design load of + 60 psf.
2. Design doors to withstand a windload of + 60 psf, 1.5 safety rating (Dade County equivalent to a normal +90 psf rating) for doors up to 20’8” x 30’. Provide compatible analysis certified by a Florida professional engineer for doors over 20’8” x 30’.
3. Manufacturer of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications must be capable of providing certified Net Vertical and Net Horizontal reaction forces imposed on door jambs.
4. Quality manufacturer listed by the Texas Department of Insurance’s Windstorm Resistant Construction Guide and the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association Building Code for Windstorm Resistant Construction.
5. Cycle life: Design doors of standard construction for normal use of 10,000 cycles standard [up to 400,000 cycles].
B. Related Sections: Related to this section, but not limited to, the following (based on Master Format 2004):
1. Section 01660 – Product Storage and Handling Requirements.
2. Section 04220 – Concrete Unit Masonry.
3. Section 05120 – Structural Steel.
4. Section 06100 – Rough Carpentry.
5. Section 08310 – Access Doors and Panels.
6. Section 08710 – Door Hardware.
7. Section 09290 – Gypsum Board.
8. Section 09900 – Paints and Coatings.
9. Section 26000 – Electrical.
1.02 REFERENCES for Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
A. ASTM A 653/A 653M – Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) or Zinc-Iron Alloy-Coated (Galvannealed) by the Hot-Dip Process
B. ASTM A 36 – Standard Specification for Carbon Structural Steel, Hot Rolled Steel
C. ASTM A 123 – Standard Specification for Zinc (Hot-Dip Galvanized) Coatings on Iron and Steel Products
D. ASTM A 312 – Standard Specification for Seamless, Welded, and Heavily Cold Worked Austenitic Stainless Steel Pipes
E. ASTM A 240 – Standard Specification for Chromium and Chromium-Nickel Stainless Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip for Pressure Vessels and for General Applications
F. ASTM A 276 – Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Bars and Shapes
G. ASTM A 31 – Standard Specification for Steel Rivets and Bars for Rivets, Pressure Vessels
H. ASTM A 449 – Standard Specification for Quenched and Tempered Steel Bolts and Studs
I. ASTM E 330 – Standard Test Method for Structural Performance of Exterior Windows, Doors, Skylights and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
J. Dade County PA-201, PA-202, PA-203: Large Missile Impact Test, Cyclic Wind Pressure Test, and Uniform Static Air Pressure Test
K. ASCE 7-02 – Standard Minimum Design Loads on Buildings and Other Structures
L. ASTM D 4549 – Standard Specification for Polystyrene and Rubber-Modified Polystyrene Molding and Extruding Materials (PS)
1.03 SUBMITTALS for Roll Down Doors and Insulated Roll Up Shutters
A. Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
B. Product Data: Provide manufacturer’s standard details and catalog data. Provide installation instructions.
C. Shop Drawings: Furnish shop drawings for architect’s approval. Include elevation, sections, and details indicating dimensions, materials, finishes, conditions for anchorage and support of each door.
D. Submit manufacturer’s recommended operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance instructions.
1.04 QUALITY ASSURANCE of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
A. Manufacturer: Rolling doors shall be manufactured by a firm with a minimum of five years experience.
B. Single-Source Responsibility: Manufacturer shall provide doors, tracks, motors, and accessories for each type of door. Secondary components shall come from a source acceptable to the manufacturer of the primary components.
1.05 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
A. Deliver materials in original packaging supplied by manufacturer with intact labels. Store materials away from harmful environmental conditions and construction.
A. Door Warranty: Provide one year written warranty from date of installation against deficiencies due to defects in materials or workmanship. Installer agrees to repair or replace any defects in materials or workmanship.
B. Project Warranty: Refer to Conditions of the Contract for project warranty provisions.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS- Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
2.01 MANUFACTURER of Insulated Rolling door
A. Manufacturer: Alpine Overhead Doors, Inc.; 8 Hulse Road Suite 1S, East Setauket, NY 11733. Telephone 800-257-4634 or 631-473-9300. Fax 631-642-0800.
B. Model: REDI-STORM IMB® Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
1. Slats: Constructed of 7/8” thick interlocking, roll-formed Insulated Metal Backed (IMB) V7 slats. (Slat construction allows for dual coiling flexibility)
a) Slat/Back Cover Material:
i) Galvanized steel, G90 coating exterior (G60 interior), Structural Quality Grade C, as per ASTM A 653/ A 653 M Finish (Can be different for exterior/interior): Galvanized [Powder coated] [Baked enamel] (Minimum coating conforming with Coating Designation G-01 is required)
– OR –
ii) ASTM 240 Stainless steel 300 series Finish (Can be different for slat and back cover): [Mill finish #2B] [#4 satin finish]
b) Insulation: Polystyrene [foamed-in-place Polyurethane]
i) Thickness: 7/8”
c) R-Value: 6.21Gauge (Per manufacturer’s standard)
i) Doors up to 20’8” wide: Galvanized/Stainless: Minimum 21 gauge as manufacturer standard [20, 18, 16 gauge].
ii) Doors up to 12’ wide: Galvanized/Stainless: Minimum 22 gauge [20, 18, 16]
2. Endlocks and Windlocks:
a) Ductile cast iron, hot-dipped, galvanized endlocks riveted to each end of each slat with four Semi-tubular, Mushroom Head ¼” rivets to prevent lateral movement and to limit slat deflection and bending stress. [Windlocks are dependent on windload and increase resistance to curtain jamming]
3. Bottom Bar: Two roll formed angles of minimum 2”x2”x1/8”, designed to reinforce curtain bottom. (Size dependent on dimensions per manufacturer’s standard)
a) Material of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications:
i) Galvanized Steel as per ASTM A 653/ A 653 M
Finish: Gray shop prime [Powder Coated] [Baked Enamel]
– OR –
ii) ASTM 240 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 satin finish]
i) 20’8” wide: ¼” bolts at 15” o.c.
ii) 12’ wide: ¼” bolts at 20” o.c.
c) Weather Stripping: Rubber astragal bolted between bottom angles.
B. Guides of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications:
1. Guides shall be designed using structural steel angles with a minimum thickness of 3/16”, minimum 1 ¼” slotted connections, and removable bellmouth curtain stops to allow for curtain maintenance without removal of guides. Bellmouth stops shall be flush with guide groove.
i) 20’8” wide: Wall angle 3 ½ x 3 ½ x 7/16”, inside angle 2 ½ x 2 ½ x 3/8”, outside angle 4 x 3 x ¼”.
ii) 12’ wide: Wall angle 2 ½ x 3 ½ x ¼”, inside angle 2 x 2 ½ x ¼”, outside angle 3 x 3 3/16” min
i) 20’8” wide: Minimum 5/8” bolts at no more than 9” o.c.
ii) 12’ wide: Minimum 1/2” bolts at no more than 15” o.c.
i) ASTM A 36 Carbon Structural Steel
Finish: Gray shop prime coat [ASTM A 123 Galvanized] [baked enamel paint]
– OR –
ii) ASTM 276 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 finish satin]
d) [Weather Stripping]: Vinyl weather seals.
C. Door Support Brackets and Mounting Plates for Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications:
1. Steel plate not less than 1/4” thick. Provide ball bearings at rotating support points. Bolt plates to wall mounting angles with minimum 1/2″ fasteners. Plate supports counterbalance assembly and forms end enclosures.
i) ASTM A 36 Carbon Steel:
Finish: Gray shop prime coat [ASTM A 123 Galvanized] [Baked enamel paint]
– OR –
ii) ASTM 240 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: [Mill Finish #2B]
b) [Stop Lock Bearing]: To prevent door from free falling in the event drive operation fails.
D. Counterbalance Assembly of Insulated Rolling Door: Torsion
1. Counterbalance assembly: Steel pipe barrel of a size capable of carrying a curtain load with a maximum deflection of 0.03” per foot of door width. Heat-treated helical torsion springs encased in a steel pipe and designed to include an overload factor of 25% to ensure minimum effort to operate. Sealed and prelubricated high speed ball bearing at rotating support points. Torsion spring charge wheel for applying spring torque and for future adjustments.
i) ASTM A 36 Carbon Structural Steel
Finish: Gray shop prime coat [A 123 Hot-Dip Galvanized]
– OR –
ii) A 312 Stainless Steel 300 Series
Finish: Mill finish
b) Life Cycle: High Cycle springs designed to satisfy 10m through 400m life cycles. Consult engineering if height exceeds width for any cycle above 20m. (Cycle defined as one time opening and closing of door)
E. Hood of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications:
1. 24 gauge steel. Formed to fit the contour of the end brackets with reinforced top and bottom edges. Provide support bracing for doors wider than 20 feet at every 10 feet to prevent excessive sag.
2. Shape: Hexagon [square] [round]
a) Galvanized Steel as per ASTM A 653/ A 653 M
Finish: [Baked enamel paint] [Powder coated]
– OR –
b) ASTM 240 Stainless Steel 300 Series:
Finish: [Mill finish #2B] [#4 satin finish]
4. [Fascia]: Galvanized [Stainless Steel] provided where areas behind door hood are open. Materials and finish same as hood.
F. Locking of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications:
1. Provide padlockable slide locks for latching and locking door on coil side bottom bar at each jamb extending into slots in guides. (Electric Interlocks recommended with motorized doors only)
2. Manual chain hoist: Provide padlockable chain keeper on guide.
2.03 OPERATION of Insulated Rolling Door:
A. Opening/Closing: Manual push-up [Manual hand chain] [Manual hand crank] [Motor Operator].
B. [Manual hand chain]:
1. Provide chain hoist operator with endless steel chain, chain pocket wheel and guard, geared reduction unit, and chain keeper secured to guide.
C. [Manual hand crank]:
1. Provide crank hoist operator including crank gear box, steel crank drive shaft and geared reduction unit. Fabricate gear box to completely enclose operating mechanism and be oil-tight.
D. [Motor Operators]:
2. Choose ONE:
a) Medium-Duty, Alpine® Model Redi-Hoist™ driven by efficient V-belt primary
drive with chain/sprocket secondary. Maximum ½ hp. For use on doors up to 10’ x 10’.
– OR –
b) Industrial-Duty, Alpine® Model Redi-Lift™ driven by heavy-duty V-belt with chain/sprocket secondary reduction. Optional auxiliary chain hoist. Maximum 1 hp. For use on doors up to 12’ x 12’.
– OR –
c) Heavy Industrial-Duty, Alpine® Model Redi-Master™ driven by heavy-duty worm gear in oil bath reduction. Standard auxiliary chain hoist. Standard ½ hp (maximum 3 hp)
– OR –
d) Redi-Tube® Tubular Motor with Built-In Manual Handcrank Overdrive. Auxiliary chain hoist not available. For use on doors up to 10’ x 8’
– OR –
e) Redi-Midget® Gear Reduced Jackshaft Door Operator.
2. [Sensing Edges] (For double angle bottom bar): For motorized doors, sensing edges allow door to go up in case of obstruction. [Pneumatic Edge] [Electric Edge] [Wireless Edge].
a) Colors: Gray [Yellow] [Black] [White] [Yellow with black stripes]
2.04 Mounting of Insulated Roll Up Shutters: (Select One)
1. Interior face mounted on prepared opening.
2. Interior mounted between jambs and under lintel in a prepared opening.
3. Exterior face mounted on prepared opening.
PART 3 – EXECUTION
3.01 EXAMINATION of Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
A. Verify that dimensions are correct and project conditions are in accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions; do not proceed with installation until unacceptable conditions have been corrected.
3.02 INSTALLATION of Insulated Rolling Door
A. Install units in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
B. Ensure that units are installed plumb and true, free of warp or twist, and within tolerances specified by manufacturer for smooth operation.
3.03 FIELD TESTING
A. Test doors for regular operation.
3.04 DEMONSTRATION for Roll Down Doors, Insulated Rolling Door, Hurricane Door Specifications
A. Instruct the Owner’s personnel in correct operation and maintenance of units.
3.05 ADJUST AND CLEAN
A. Clean units in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
B. Restore slight blemishes in finishes in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions to match original finish. Remove and provide new units where repairs are not acceptable to the Architect.
The Redi-Storm® IMB metal storm shutters have many of the same features as the Redi-Storm® hurricane doors with the addition of curtain insulation. Alpine’s Redi-Storm® IMB roll down doors are approved by Dade County, Florida to withstand 187 mph winds. The Redi-Storm® IMB is not only ideal for standard protection against theft and vandalism, but it is also designed to withstand pressures of +/- 60 psf.
Redi-Storm® IMB insulated rolling door curtains are metal on metal insulated slats with 7/8″ thick insulation. Insulated roll up shutters can be push-up, hand-crank, hand-chain or motor operated. All operators can be adapted to specific conditions. Locking units can be provided depending on the type of door operation and insulated shutter.
The Redi-Storm® IMB insulated rolling door and insulated shutter is engineered and tested to meet or exceed industry standards.
2 3/4″ Insulated Slat